While using an add-on that helps to track raiding achievements in World of Warcraft(WoW), I noticed that it was outputting some data wrong. When creating an add-on for WoW you can create what are called slash commands. These are commands that interact with your add-on specifically when a user types '/' and then the command. I noticed that instead of telling you to type '/achr' it was saying to type '/rach'.
- Log in to WoW.
- Open your add-ons list and ensure AchievementsReminder is turned on.
- Enter any dungeon or raid instance that you can still earn ten or more achievements in.
- Read the output and notice the incorrect slash command.
Reading through other peoples add-on code is always interesting. You get to see the ways they decided to use what little Blizzard allows players to interact with in the in-game application program interface(API). A lot of add-ons use seperate files to save all of the text that will be output to the user. This allows you to easily implement localization. Looking through the english localization, I was able to quickly locate which variable was outputting the incorrect string and was able to correct it. From there I was able to do the same for most of the other localization files. Some of them, however, were done using a foreign alphabet, which made it so I wasn't able to correct those.