GNU GPL Chapter 1
- Bradley M. Kuhn
- Anthony K. Sebro, Jr.
- Denver Gingerich
Copyleft and the GNU General Public License: A Comprehensive Tutorial and Guide
Software Freedom encompasses multiple different ideas, and different license types give different ammounts of freedom. Copyright is also an important part of dealing with free software, even though copyright is normally seen as taking away freedom.
- The information is broken down to make it feel more readable.
- There's a lot of interesting information about copyright and how it affects the GPL.
- The footnotes hold links to even more good information.
- It presents ideas without giving real world examples.
- The content is very dense and hard to read.
- It would be nice to have examples of where different licenses won't work.
- Are there any negatives associated with creating open source software?
- How can we create different business models around open source software?
- What does it mean for the goverments software to be public domain? How is that different from open source software?
While being extremely dense and hard to read, this document contains a lot of good information. It is laid out in a way that makes it easier to read.
Half a dozen red roses and one white rose